Thursday, May 2, 2013

Thinking about materials

Although I wasn't able to use many actual recycled materials for the DRC house, I'm already incorporating them into the Nepal houses. I've known for a long time that styrofoam is one of the worst products that we use in terms of environmental persistence. Styrofoam does not break down and cannot be made into something new. It's just styrofoam forever. And ever. If you use styrofoam bowls and plates for parties, I've probably shot you a few nasty looks and told you exactly what will happen with that styrofoam when you throw it "away". It doesn't go away. So as the organisms that invented this disgusting product, we have a responsibility to stop making more and start reusing what we have in new ways. 

If styrofoam can insulate your thermos, why not reuse it to insulate your house? Provided that it is thoroughly cleaned of any food residue, I don't see any possible complications. Styrofoam consists of millions of tiny little air pockets and as I learned in Physics 1, stationary air is a fantastic insulator. Why would we waste it on packaging and plates when it could be in our walls keeping us warm all winter? I think styrofoam can be packed between the walls of the Nepal houses to create an effective insulator.



No comments:

Post a Comment